X-Carve 1000mm CNC Router
Location: Wood Zone
Point Of Contact @joe.gravelle on Slack or by e-mail at Joseph.Gravelle@Gmail.com
MakerFX has an X-Carve 1000mm CNC Router. The X-Carve uses cutting bits to carve wood, plastics, thin aluminum and more. MakerFX membership provides training and use of the cnc router for prototyping and creative projects. We use VCarve software to design projects.
Vectric’s VCarve Pro is a very powerful, but exceptionally easy to use software solution for people wanting to design and machine parts for a wide variety of CNC machines. MakerFX provides the V-Carve Pro Makerspace Edition software for member use. Downloading and installing instructions for V-Carve Makerspace Edition
This CNC Router is equipped with a Super PID Router Speed Controller, a Planet CNC Controller. The spindle is a DeWalt 611 trim router rated at 1-1/4HP (7.0 Amps) with a no load speed of 16,000-27,000rpm. A properly tuned and calibrated machine should get to a resolution of ~0.075mm to 0.13mm.
General Policies for the X-Carve 1000mm CNC Router
Minors can only operate the X-Carve 1000mm CNC Router under MakerFX member adult supervision.
X-Carve Operation Instructions
- PlanetCNC USB Controller MK3/4 (website)
- Super-PID Router Speed Control (website)
Other Resources for the X-Carve
- Gadget library These are software add-ons that make designing easier
- Free Projects Files
- Inventables Forum
- MakerFX How-to: Squaring the X-Carve y-axis at startup
- YouTube: V Bits Explained
- YouTube: Endmills and Collets Explained
Router Bits (aka Endmills)
- Whiteside 1/4", 2 Flute, Down Cut Spiral Bit (RD2100)
- Whitside 1/4", 2 Flute, Up Cut Spiral Bit (RU2100)
- Whitside 1/4", Router Bit Starter Kit, 5-piece
- Whiteside 1/4", V-Groove 60-Degree Router Bit
- Depending on the tool the X-Carve is fitted with, there are a variety of materials that can be machined, including:
- Circuit Boards
- and more...
If there is ever a question about if a material is suitable for the CNC, please ask.
- Speed Controller won't maintain speed - The original owner used reflective tape instead of white paint in the router for the optical sensor with the Super-PID speed controller. Replaced tape with white paint as per instructions in Super-PID manual (linked above) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX, please contact X-Carve POC or post in slack channel.