New Member Orientation
- Go to the MakerFX Membership Page, choose your membership level (Individual, Family or Booster) and subscribe.
- Download, Sign & Return the member waiver - either bring the paper version when you get your key, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also need to bring a state or federal photo ID showing age and address of residence.
- Click Slack Invitation to request a login for Slack.
- Download Slack for your phone / computer / etc, and check out the list of channels. Note that the MFO prefix channels are for Maker Faire Orlando business - as a MakerFX member, you likely want to be in the MFX prefixed channels :)
- Join the mfx-member-intros channel. You can use this channel to quickly introduce yourself and to tell us a bit about you including what you make or what you would like to learn in the near term.
- Click Register for a Makerfx.org Wordpress account - this account will be used to reserve time on tools (Note, this is different than a wiki account)
- You can't use the reservation system until your makerfx.org account is upgraded to Member status, currently done by messaging @jstutz, @andy, @jeff, @joe.gravelle or @ian on Slack.
- After finishing your registration for makerfx.org wordpress, learn How to Reserve Time on Tools at MakerFX
- Click here Wiki Account Request (info@MakerEffect.org) for a user account. Be sure to include a good e-mail address to send the temporary password to. (Note, this is different than a makerfx.org wordpress account)
- After receiving your Wiki account info, setup your Wiki profile
- Check out the MakerFX Calendar and use it to sign up for classes & events AND you will know when the space will be used for classes and events so that you can plan accordingly.
- Individuals under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- MakerFX t-shirts are available in the display case near the front door. Please make a $10 donation for each t-shirt.
The BEST way to get (and stay) connected with the MakerFX community, setup your MakerEffect Slack workspace account ASAP.
- Click here to get your MakerEffect Slack workspace invite
- While you can use the Slack web page, we strongly recommend the Slack mobile app or desktop app.
- Make sure you find the list of channels - we have dozens of channels, but you will only see a few by default. When you find the full list, the "mfx-" prefix channels are for MakerFX. The "mfo-" channels are for Maker Faire Orlando, and the "tmef-" channels are for the foundation. For right now, please stick with the "mfx-" channels.
- The BEST way to learn a specific tool is to join the channel for that tool (such as mfx-laser or mfx-woodworking) and to start following the conversation. You can also ask for help in that channel, and you can also message one of our help groups such as @laserhelp, @3dprintinghelp, @woodshophelp, etc.
- The MakerFX Monthly Meeting is held the last Wed of the month starting at 7pm. This is another GREAT way to get and stay connected. Attend this meeting and make a new connection with other MakerFX members.
- You are welcome to bring guests to MakerFX, provided that you supervise their activity and that you remain at MakerFX with your guests.
- If your guests will be working with you (supervised) at MakerFX, have them complete the guest waiver - either email to email@example.com or leave a printed copy at MakerFX (there is typically a stack of these waivers and a clipboard that contains completed waivers in the lobby.
- If you are hosting a group of people and plan to utilize a room, please schedule this event by posting in the #mfx-classes-workshops channel on Slack. Please note that private events with an expectation of privacy are strongly discouraged.
- If you are hosting a group of people and plan to utilize tools, please ensure that you make reservations for the tools.
- Your monthly membership helps MakerFX exist and provides you 24×7 access to awesome tools and resources. There are other ways you can support the makerspace.
- Amazon Smile is a simple and automatic way for you to support The Maker Effect Foundation every time you shop, at no cost to you. Click here to learn how to enable your Amazon account to support MakerFX.
- Your company may support corporate match and donations for volunteer hours. Below are the companies that are known to have these programs.
- Disney: Ears to You
- Issuance of RFID key
- Show how to use key
- Show lights and how to turn off or reset for additional time
- Show back doors and explain procedure to ALWAYS check the back doors are closed and locked if you are the last one out - even if you didn't use the doors.
- Show the dumpsters and explain trash management
- Show the refrigerator and explain the honor system for drinks
- Show the shop tools that require training
- SawStop, CNC Router, Planer, Lathe, etc.
- Show location of fire extinguishers and first aid kits.
- Show the location of the member wifi password
- Explain contributing to MakerFX by buying supplies through Amazon Smile
- Reiterate how to get connected and get started
- Slack + Channels
- MakerFX Calendar
- Wordpress account for tool reservations
- Wiki & Wiki account for editing